Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Peter Greenberg
Occupation: Travel Editor, CBS News
Hometown: Seat 3B
Residence: 34,000 FEET
Facebook: Peter Greenberg
Bio: Peter Greenberg is America’s most recognized, honored and respected front-line travel news journalist. He is Travel Editor for CBS News, appearing on CBS This Morning, CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley, and CBS Sunday Morning, among other broadcast platforms.
How often do you fly? Three times a week
How many countries have you been to? 152
How many continents have you been to? ALL
Favorite American city? Madison, Wisconsin
Favorite international city? Too many to list
Least favorite country? None
Favorite airline? I have none. I pick my favorite airline base on which airline performs best on particular routes. Sadly there is no one airline that can claim it performs well on all its routes. This applies to service, attitude, on time performance and fares.
Favorite aircraft type? DC8 (No longer flying commercial passenger service)
Aisle or window? Window
Favorite airport lounge? Lufthansa first class terminal in Frankfurt
Favorite U.S. airport? For large airports, Tampa. For medium airports, Austin, Milwaukee, Indianapolis
Favorite international airport? Changi (Honorable mention, Seoul)
Favorite hotel? I can only answer this (like the airline question) by individual city
Favorite cruise line? My own boat
Favorite island? Fire Island, New York
Favorite fancy restaurant? I can only answer per city
Favorite hole in the wall? I can only answer per city
Favorite travel movie(s): Not thought of as a travel movie, but travel was certainly a theme throughout — and most people never seen it: Islands In The Stream
Favorite travel show(s): My own, of course!
Favorite travel book(s): A Writers Notebook (Somerset Maugham)
Five things you bring on a plane? Duct tape, flashlight, extra batteries for flashlight, laptop and cell phone, a second cell phone and an international airline schedule book because Plan A never works and I don’t depend on the internet to pick my flights.
What do you always seem to forget? Enough candy for when Plan A doesn’t work.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Don’t have an iPhone
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Twice a year, and only twice a year I wake up and have absolutely no idea where I am. I am convinced I’ve missed my flight. I shower quickly, get dressed, race outside only to discover I’m actually at home in either New York or Los Angeles and it was the one day I didn’t need to go to the airport!
What’s your dream destination? Anywhere I can be with someone I’m in love with
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: PeterGreenberg.com
Best travel tip: Never take a no from someone who is not empowered to give you a yes in the first place.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.