Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Phil Baker
Occupation: Technology (product development, author and journalist)
Hometown: Worcester, MA
Residence: San Diego, CA
College: Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Yale, Northeastern
College major: Physics, Business
Facebook: Phil Baker
Short bio: Developed scores of electronic products for companies including Apple, Polaroid, Seiko. Founder of ThinkOutside. Inventor of the folding Stowaway keyboard. Author of “From Concept to Consumer.” Technology columnist. Expert in product development and manufacturing in Asia. Entrepreneur of the Year. VP PonoMusic.
How often do you fly? 3-5 times a month.
How many countries have you been to? 25
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: Flying PanAm from NY to Tokyo.
Favorite American city: San Francisco.
Favorite international city: Tokyo.
Least favorite country: Hungary.
I have no desire to go to: Columbia.
Friendliest people in the world: UK.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Russia.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Stonehenge.
Favorite airline: Cathay Pacific.
Favorite aircraft type: 787.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong International Airport.
Favorite U.S. airport: SeaTac.
Favorite international airport: Hong Kong.
Favorite hotel: Okura, Tokyo.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Platinum.
Favorite island: Hawaii.
Favorite beach: Poipu, Kauai.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Marche aux Fleur, Marin County.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Taqueria La Bamba, Mountain View, CA.
Favorite bar: Harry’s in Singapore.
Favorite fruit: Apple.
Favorite food: Lobster.
Least favorite food: Airplane food.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Red wine.
Favorite travel movie(s): Airplane!
Favorite travel show(s): Rick Steves.
Favorite travel book(s): DK books.
Right now I am reading: “The Martian.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Joe Brancatelli, FlyerTalk, Johnny Jet.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! joesentme.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: Pono music player, good headphones, external battery charger, 12” MacBook, book.
What do you always seem to forget? Local currency.
What do you like least about travel? Lines and delays.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Bordeaux wine.
Favorite travel app(s): TripIt.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting on the wrong flight.
I’m embarrassed but I haven’t been to: South America.
Worst travel moment: Waiting with family for eight hours for a United flight to leave SFO for Hawaii.
What’s your dream destination? Around-the-world-trip in First Class.
Best travel tip: Avoid checking baggage.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.