Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Dr. Robyn Benson
Occupation: Doctor of Oriental Medicine
Hometown: Hamilton, New York
Residence: Santa Fe, New Mexico
College: University of Virginia
College major: Sports Medicine
Pinterest: Dr. Robyn Benson DOM
Google+: Robyn Benson
Short bio: I am a pioneer of the Self-Care Revolution, which aims to transform lives and health care, one person at a time. This mission has been fueled by lessons I’ve learned and the wisdom and insights I’ve gained on my transformational journey as a Doctor of Oriental medicine, which includes traveling to more than 70 countries to learn from indigenous people. For the past 23 years, I’ve applied my considerable knowledge of acupuncture, herbs, IV therapies, and cutting-edge energy medicine to help patients achieve optimal, radiant and sustainable health. In 2005, I founded Santa Fe Soul, an innovative healthcare center which now has a staff of 25 practitioners. A mother, adventure enthusiast, world traveler, author, and speaker, I bring a decidedly holistic approach to 21st-century health care.
How often do you fly? Two to three times a month.
How many countries have you been to? 70
How many continents have you been to? 6
Earliest travel memory: Driving in the back of my family’s green Ford van with hand-sewn purple curtains to New York City to visit my grandmother in Brooklyn.
Favorite American city: Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Favorite international city: Istanbul, Turkey and Cusco, Peru.
Least favorite country: That is tough for me. I can’t imagine there is one!
I have no desire to go to: India again.
Friendliest people in the world: Peru.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Israel, hands down!
Favorite World Heritage Site: Machu Picchu.
Favorite airline: Lufthansa.
Favorite aircraft type: 777.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Chicago.
Favorite U.S. airport: Salt Lake City, because it offers healthy food and it’s the only airport where I found my favorite Kombucha drink.
Favorite international airport: Singapore.
Favorite hotel: Sofitel Hotel in Cuba.
Favorite cruise line: Royal Caribbean CL.
Favorite travel credit card: I am good with my MC American Airlines Gold card.
Favorite island: Cuba.
Favorite beach: La Paz, Mexico.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Cocina del Mar at Esperanza Resort, Cabo San Lucas.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Santa Fe Bite, Santa Fe.
Favorite bar: The Violet Hour, Chicago.
Favorite fruit: Organic apple.
Favorite food: Dark chocolate and organic popcorn with coconut oil.
Least favorite food: Anything GMO, eggs benedict, pickled artichokes, and most packaged American food.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Water and second choice, a cold Kombucha.
Favorite travel movie(s): Out of Africa, The Year of Living Dangerously, Latcho Drum.
Favorite travel show(s): Globe Trekker, Michael Palin Around the World in 80 Days, Rick Steve’s Europe.
Favorite travel book(s): “Night Train to Turkestan,” “The Geography of Bliss,” “Mountains to Mountains,” and my own book
“The Healthy Conscious Traveler.”
Right now I am reading: “The Bulletproof Diet.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Nat Geo Traveler, The Travelling Light, Nomadic Matt’s Travel Site.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Lonely Planet, TripTuner.
5 things you bring on a plane: Headset, phone, headband, earplugs, Barney (my awesome backpack fit for a 50-year-old woman). You want to meet Barney, Johnny!
What do you always seem to forget? Coconut oil, extra coat.
What do you like least about travel? Travel delays, jet fuels, electro-magnetic frequencies (EMFs), cranky people.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Really nothing!
Favorite travel app(s): Google Maps, Snapseed, WiFi Finder, XE Currency Converter, TripIt.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Left my computer going through security and missed my flight by one minute…
I’m embarrassed but I haven’t been to: Montana. Go figure. 70 countries and I have seen most of the US, but I have not been to Montana.
Worst travel moment: Missing a flight in NYC after long journey back from Egypt (stayed in a raunchy hotel), which meant I missed a whole day of work, and I am self employed.
What’s your dream destination? Bora Bora and I want to do a round-the-world trip!
Favorite travel charity: Marathons for Charities. For example I ran the Marine Core DC marathon, 26 miles, and raised money for AIDS research.
Best travel tip: Bring healthy food and read my new book, “The Healthy Conscious Traveler: 8 Pathways to Smart and Effortless Travel.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.