Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Ryan Van Duzer
Occupation: Filmmaker/TV host
College: University of Colorado
College major: Broadcast Journalism
Facebook: Ryan Van Duzer
YouTube: Ryan Van Duzer
Short bio: Adventurer/goofball/humanitarian/filmmaker/athlete.
How often do you fly? It all depends on jobs.
How many countries have you been to? Not quite sure, I’m not a country counter.
Earliest travel memory: Camping in the Rockies with my family as a little boy. It was that experience when I gained a love for the great outdoors.
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: Stockholm.
Least favorite country: U.A.E. It’s so fake.
Friendliest people in the world: Mexico!
Country with the meanest immigration officers: USA takes the cake on this one, I always feel bad for foreigners coming through JFK, they can be such insensitive meanies.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Machu Picchu.
Favorite airline: Southwest by FAR!
Favorite aircraft type: Millennium Falcon.
Aisle or window: Window always, unless I’m on Southwest, then I pick a spot next to the cutest girl.
Favorite airport lounge: Not a lounge, but Dublin has the healthiest food court!
Favorite U.S. airport: Missoula Montana—It’s like a cozy country cabin.
Favorite international airport: Kathmandu—You can walk out the door and pretty much be in the city.
Favorite island: Chachahuate, a tiny fishing island the size of a football field off the coast of Honduras.
Favorite beach: Anywhere I can set up my tent and sleep under the stars.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Not into fancy places, I’m a street food kind of guy.
Favorite bar: Anything with a rooftop and cold beers.
Favorite fruit: Apple (with almond butter).
Favorite food: Mexican, I love frijoles!
Least favorite food: Crappy fast food made out of junk ingredients.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): A good locally made microbrew.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Favorite travel show(s): Bourdain, The Crocodile Hunter, Idiot Abroad. I recently met Samantha Brown, and although I didn’t grow up watching her show, she is certainly one of the most genuine and sweet people in the TV industry.
Favorite travel book(s): Anything by Paul Theroux. “Born to Run,” “Round Ireland with a Fridge” and “Desert Solitaire.”
Right now I am reading: “Eat and Run” by Scott Jurek.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! NatGeo.
5 things you bring on a plane: Food, headphones, comfy shoes, books, and the desire to watch lots of movies—This is when I catch up on mainstream media.
What do you always seem to forget? Deodorant. It’s a good thing my sweat smells like a bouquet of spring flowers.
What do you like least about travel? Crap food in airports.
Favorite travel app(s): I don’t really use much technology when traveling, other than websites to book plane tickets.
Most embarrassing travel moment: It’s not really embarrassing, but I once hatched botflies out of my arm in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. I freaked out after seeing the little alien worms in my arm, ran to the hostel and grossed out every backpacker in a ten-mile radius.
Worst travel moment: Getting robbed by dudes with machetes in Guatemala. It wasn’t so much the act of getting robbed, but the disappointment in realizing that not everyone on this planet is friendly.
What’s your dream destination? Bhutan! I wanna trek the Himalayas in this magical country that measures its wealth in happiness.
Best travel tip: The hardest things about traveling is making the decision to go, so just go!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.