Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Sam Deal
Occupation: Pilot for United Airlines & Travel Website Entrepreneur
Hometown: Lancaster, PA
Residence: Aurora, CO
College: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL
College major: Professional Aeronautics
Short bio: Upon graduating high school I joined the Marine Corps. After getting out of the Marine Corps I discovered the joy of flying and went to flight school. Shortly thereafter I transferred to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where I received my college degree and worked as a flight instructor on the side. Prior to graduating Embry-Riddle I was selected for 2 internship programs. One for a group out of Southern California flying Lear jets and the other was with United Airlines. I was hired with United Airlines and became a Pilot Instructor. I have flown most of United’s airplanes and have enjoyed them all.
BidGoTravel was founded in the middle of the night while flying at 35,000 ft. I was thinking about my own experiences as a vacation home owner and the frustration of trying to keep my vacation home rented. That’s when I said, “There has to be a better way.” I thought why not have auctions and rent now together. I jotted down the highlights of what I envisioned BidGoTravel would become on the back of my flight schedule and stuck them in my pocket. The rest was history and for the last several years I set out to make BidGoTravel the one place everyone goes. Whether you’re simply searching for a rental or you’re looking to turn your vacation rental into a real money maker!
How often do you fly? Average 10-16 days a month
How many countries have you been to? 22
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: Waking up beside my 2 sisters in the back of the old station wagon as we pulled into the gas station for some gas and a pit stop. Several times a year we would make the pilgrimage from PA to either South Carolina to visit family or North Carolina to stay at my parents beach house.
Favorite American city: Charleston, SC.
Favorite international city: So far I would say Singapore. But ask me in another few years when I have a few more exotic and interesting places I have explored.
Favorite airline(s): United Airlines of course.
Favorite aircraft type: 747.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite U.S. airport: Houston, Texas.
Favorite international airport: Singapore Changi International Airport.
Favorite cruise line: Royal Caribbean.
Favorite island: St. Martin.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Shanahan’s Steakhouse, Denver, CO & Prime 951 Steakhouse, Key West, FL.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Boondocks, Big Pine Key, FL.
Favorite bar: The View House, Centennial/DTC, CO.
Favorite fruit: Banana.
Favorite food: Sushi.
Least favorite food: Brussels sprouts still remain champion.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Red or White wine, unless of course I am flying the airplane!
5 things you bring on a plane: iPad, cell phone, laptop computer, noise canceling headphones and last but not least a snack to tide me over.
What do you always seem to forget? Charger for my cell phone.
What do you like least about travel? The food or lack there of.
Favorite travel app(s): Kayak.com.
Most embarrassing travel moment: In Cancun on vacation. Couldn’t think of the word “Grande” and spread my arms out wide and said, “Biiiiggg.”
Best travel tip: Don’t sweat the small stuff. After all, you’re on vacation!!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.