Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers on useful resources, favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Sonia Gil
Occupation: Host of Sonia’s Travels & Founder of Fluenz
Hometown: Venezuela, Miami, New York.
Residence: Miami, FL.
Short Bio: Sonia Gil is host and co-creator of Sonia’s Travels, the weekly original web show that cracks the secret codes behind peoples and cultures around the world. Winner of the 2012 People’s Voice Webby Award for Best Web Personality, Sonia has been hailed as the “next Bourdain.” A biologist by training and beach lover by vocation, she speaks five languages and has lived abroad in China, France, and Venezuela. Her career as a successful entrepreneur includes establishing Fluenz, the critic-acclaimed digital language learning company where she leads the content team and is the on-video tutor for most of the company’s products.
How often do you fly: Once a month.
How many countries have you been to: Who’s counting.
How many continents have you been to: Not all of them, and that is unacceptable. MUST GO TO AFRICA SOON.
Favorite American city: New York City
Favorite international city: London, Berlin, Shanghai, Caracas, Amsterdam … and on and on
Least favorite country: Bad question.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Canaima National Park
Favorite airline: None.
Favorite aircraft type: Any type of helicopter.
Aisle or window: Aisle for short flights, window for long ones.
Favorite airport lounge: The ones with showers.
Favorite U.S. airport: SF.
Favorite international airport: Madrid.
Favorite hotel: Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong
Favorite cruise line: Never.
Favorite island: Los Roques
Favorite fancy restaurant: French Laundry
Favorite hole in the wall: Fish fried with overused oil by the shores in Latin America.
Favorite fruit: Not a fruit person.
Favorite food: French, the only one.
Least favorite food: Ripe mangoes.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Vodka on the rocks.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Beach.
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations and Sonia’s Travels
Favorite travel book(s): Eat, Pray, Love.
Right now I am reading: Dracula. I’m into classics lately.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines: New York Times travel section, Conde Nast, Afar.
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Kayak, TripAdvisor, Jetsetter.
Five things you bring on a plane: Eye mask, baby-wipes, earphones, laptop, scarf.
What do you always seem to forget: Toothpaste, it never fails.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Nothing, please.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Google Maps.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting to the airport sans passport, TWICE.
Worst travel moment: Those stories that seemed bad at the time have become the best anecdotes.
What’s your dream destination: South Africa.
Best travel tip: Get an international data plan.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.