Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Steve Perillo
Occupation: Tour operator
Hometown: Pearl River, NY
Residence: Saddle River, NJ
College: Boston University
College major: Music
Facebook: Perillo Tours
YouTube: Perillo Tours
Short bio: Steve represents Perillo Tours’ third generation in the travel business starting in the Bronx in 1945. Italy has been Perillo Tours’ major destination for over the company’s 73-year history. Steve has launched several related brands including ItalyVacations.com, LearningJourneys.com and PerilloTravelVR.com, a virtual reality production service.
How often do you fly? Eight to 10 times per year.
How many countries have you been to? About 25.
How many continents have you been to? Six out of seven (no Antarctica yet!).
Earliest travel memory: Driving from Pearl River, NY, to Kentland, IN, when I was seven years old. It took 15 hours.
Favorite American city: New York, New York.
Favorite international city: Rome, Italy.
Least favorite country: Libya.
I have no desire to go to: Greenland.
Friendliest people in the world: Ireland.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: France.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Matera, Italy.
Favorite airline: Etihad Airlines.
Favorite aircraft type: Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin America Loft, LAX.
Favorite U.S. airport: Reagan National in DC.
Favorite international airport: DXB, Dubai International.
Favorite hotel: The Pierre Hotel, New York.
Favorite cruise line: Crystal Cruises.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Plum Card.
Favorite island: St. Barth’s.
Favorite beach: Ipanema Beach, Rio de Janeiro.
Favorite National Park: Adirondack Park, New York.
Favorite fancy restaurant: La Pergola, Rome.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Rao’s Restaurant, New York.
Favorite airport restaurant: No idea!
Favorite bar: McSorley’s Old Ale House, New York.
Favorite fruit: Watermelon.
Favorite food: Linguine carbonara.
Least favorite food: Beets.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Merlot and gin martini.
Favorite travel movie(s): Wayne’s World (1).
Favorite travel show(s): Just for Laughs.
Favorite travel podcast(s): “Stuff You Should Know.”
Favorite travel book(s): Any biography.
Right now I am reading: “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Harvard Business Review, Sam Harris blog, Steven Pinker blog.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Rick Steves.
5 things you bring on a plane: Bose QuietComfort Wireless Headphones. Sleep aid. That’s it!
What do you always seem to forget? Armrest headphone adaptor!
What do you like least about travel? Endless checkpoints on international flights.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Wind-up toy planes.
Favorite travel app(s): Altimeter.
Most embarrassing travel moment: In-flight farting.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: New Orleans.
Worst travel moment: Aborted landing at 25 feet!
What’s your dream destination? The moon.
Favorite travel charity: Tourism Cares.
Best travel tip: P A C K L I G H T!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.