Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Taylor Hicks
Occupation: Singer, TV Host, Saw’s Juke Joint Owner
Hometown: Birmingham, AL
Residence: What’s a residence? … Always on the move.
Facebook: Taylor Hicks
Short bio: Taylor Hicks made ratings history on the American Idol stage with his win. He followed that with a chart-topping, Platinum Certified album; starred on Broadway in the hit musical “Grease” and joined the national tour. He returned to the small screen to guest star on Law & Order: SVU, penned a best-selling autobiography “Heart Full of Soul” (Random House), became a restauranteur: Saw’s Juke Joint in Birmingham, AL. Continuing with records, Hicks was the 1st Idol to earn a Vegas residency and the 1st male-Idol on a Grammy Award-winning album.
2016 Hicks will play near 100 concert and will also premiere his new food & travel show State Plate on October 21st on INSP Network. On the show: Join Taylor, musician and restaurateur, as he tours the U.S. tasting some of the states’ most symbolic and popular foods. He samples crab cakes in Maryland, peaches in Georgia, chili in Texas, potatoes in Idaho as he makes his way from coast to coast. In his travels, he visits farms, ranches, markets, and festivals, uncovering the stories and legends behind each state’s unique food traditions rich in history, folklore, and flavor.
How often do you fly? Weekly. Maybe more. I live in the air.
How many countries have you been to? 20
How many continents have you been to? 3
Earliest travel memory: I remember the first time I flew. I was by myself going to meet my parents in Huntsville, AL, from Birmingham. I watched out that window the entire trip—went from nervous to excited.
Favorite American city: Hard to choose: Let’s go with Nashville, TN and Sausalito, CA.
Favorite international city: Hope Town—Abaco Islands in the Bahamas.
Friendliest people in the world: Good people in the Cayman Islands.
Favorite airline: Delta.
Favorite aircraft type: Anything that flies.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: The Centurion Lounge in Las Vegas.
Favorite U.S. airport: San Diego.
Favorite international airport: Stuttgart Germany.
Favorite hotel: Hotel Bel-Air.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express.
Favorite island: Cayo Espanto.
Favorite beach: Parrot Cay—Turks and Caicos
Favorite National Park: Glacier National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: The French Laundry.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Flora–Bama Lounge & Package.
Favorite bar: Saw’s Juke Joint in Birmingham, Alabama ; ) Best BBQ in the world.
Favorite fruit: Yamamomo.
Favorite food: BBQ.
Least favorite food: Oreos.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): A dark ‘n’ stormy.
Favorite travel movie: Cast Away.
Favorite travel show: Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe; Andrew Zimmern’s Bizarre Foods; Running Wild with Bear Grylls—would love to do that show.
Favorite travel book: Love “Mud, Sweat, and Tears” by Bear Grylls. Everything he does is inspired.
Right now I am reading: “Chasing Greatness.”
Favorite travel website: AtlasObscura.com—a great guide to unknown American oddities and interesting places—great when on tour.
5 things you bring on a plane: Mini Tabasco bottles for Bloody Marys, SYSTANE Eye Drops, Handi Wipes, USB chords, and a pillow.
What do you always seem to forget? Chargers.
What do you like least about travel? Travel time.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? A bottle of Bailey’s.
*Favorite Travel Apps: Anything that gets me where I need to go quickest.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: London.
Worst travel moment: Many. All involve being delayed.
What’s your dream destination? ANY destination for vacation.
Best travel tip: Take early flights.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.