Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Tiana & Shannon Harris
Occupation: Travel bloggers and freelance writers/photographers
Hometown: Tiana: Los Angeles, California; Shannon: New Orleans, Louisiana
Residence: Los Angeles, California
College: Tiana: UCSB; Shannon: UNLV
College major: Tiana: Journalism; Shannon: Business Administration
Facebook: Power Couple Life
Pinterest: Power Couple Life
Google+: Power Couple Life
YouTube: Power Couple Life
Short bio: We are travel bloggers, but also do freelance writing and photography as well. Luxury adventure travel is our focus, but we also blog about food, culture and experiences outside of that. Tiana was a writer and photographer when we met and Shannon has always been a social media guru and we blended our two passions into a blog.
We had been engaged since 2011, but kept putting off the wedding to travel. Finally on February 24, 2016, we decided to tie the knot in one of our favorite cities, Cape Town.
In less than 18 months our blog went from just a few readers (our friends and parents most likely) to being ranked in the top 50 travel blogs in the world.
We love flying first class, staying at five-star resorts and being pampered. Finding a great spa in each city we visit is a must for us. Finding a cheese shop and a delectable charcuterie platter is a plus.
How often do you fly? 3-4 times a month.
How many countries have you been to? Never counted. Culture, experiences and quality over quantity is our motto!
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: Tiana: Jumping around on columns Les Colonnes de Buren at the Palais-Rayal in Paris while my father was there photographing the building.
Shannon: I never traveled as a kid, my first travel memory is evacuating from Hurricane Katrina. There’s even a story about it.
Favorite American city: Austin, Texas.
Favorite international city: Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy.
Least favorite country: United Arab Emirates.
We have no desire to go to: To Bangkok—crowds and smells. Nope!
Friendliest people in the world: Dominican Republic.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: United Arab Emirates.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa.
Favorite airline: International: Delta (we have status), domestic: Virgin America.
Favorite aircraft type: 787 Dreamliner.
Aisle or window: Window, bulkhead preferably.
Favorite airport lounge: Etihad in Abu Dhabi.
Favorite U.S. airport: Portland.
Favorite international airport: Munich.
Favorite hotel: Domestic: Langham Place, New York; international: King’s Camp, Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, South Africa.
Favorite cruise line: We don’t usually cruise, but if we did…Celebrity looks the best.
Favorite travel credit card: Chase Sapphire.
Favorite island: Maui.
Favorite beach: Maluaka Beach, Makena, Maui, Hawaii.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Mastro’s Beverly Hills.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Tiana: Grassa, Portland, Oregon; Shannon: Por Que No, Portland, Oregon.
Favorite bar: Jester King Tasting Room, Austin, Texas.
Favorite fruit: Passionfruit.
Favorite food: Tiana: prosciutto; Shannon: fried rice.
Least favorite food: Fast food.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Tiana: Bailey’s & hot chocolate; Shannon: craft beer.
Favorite travel movie(s): Tiana: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel; Shannon: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Favorite travel show(s): Parts Unknown (hopefully our own show someday!).
Favorite travel book(s): Tiana: “The Geography of Bliss” by Eric Weiner; Shannon: Can’t think of one. Does a map count?
Right now I am reading: Tiana: “A Paris Apartment” by Michelle Gable; Shannon: “Manhood: How to Be a Better Man or Just Live with One” by Terry Crews.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! lettherebetravel.org, they post error fares and flight deals—and even have a Facebook group with traveler meet-ups!
5 things you bring on a plane: Neck pillow, iPad, book, laptop (long flights make for good blog/photo editing time), and sanitizer/hand wipes (soooo many germs!).
What do you always seem to forget? Tiana: hairbrush; Shannon: headphones.
What do you like least about travel? Coming home.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Postcards, we collect them!
Favorite travel app(s): Google Maps, TripIt and Uber.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting arrested in Prague.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Southeast Asia—seems like every blogger has!
Worst travel moment: See above: most embarrassing travel moment.
What’s your dream destination? The answer will always be Africa. We just returned from South Africa and it was life-changing. Being close to the animals was so incredible. We want to go back to Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, and also check out Botswana and the Serengeti.
Favorite travel charity: Save the Rhino.
Best travel tip: Instead of pointing out how different everything is in another city or culture when you visit, meld into it and embrace it.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.