Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Vera Gibbons
Occupation: Financial Journalist
Hometown: Buzzards Bay, MA
Residence: New York City
College: Trinity College
College major: Literary Writing
Facebook: Vera Gibbons
Short bio: Vera Gibbons is a financial journalist based in New York City. She just signed on as a Senior Consumer Analyst for GasBuddy.com. Gibbons appears regularly on Fox Business News and Fox News’ The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson and Shepard Smith Reporting.
Previously, Gibbons was a financial contributor with CBS The Early Show, worked as a correspondent for CNBC’s High Net Worth, and was a Financial Analyst for MSNBC. She appeared regularly on all NBC platforms, including the Today Show, Nightly News, and The Weather Channel’s Wake Up With Al, hosted by NBC’s Al Roker.
How often do you fly? Several times/month. Primarily in wintertime, and namely to escape the cold.
Earliest travel memory: Weekend family road trips to ski in Vermont.
Favorite American city: New York City.
Favorite International city: Rarely travel internationally.
I have no desire to go: To a theme park, indoor inflatable park or water park. Ever.
Friendliest people in the world: Patrons at the Cork Tree bar in Palm Desert, CA.
Favorite airline: Delta. Previously JetBlue.
Favorite aircraft type: One with wide aisles and large seats.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite U.S. airport: PBI.
First thing you do when you land at your favorite airport: Smile. Then put shorts on.
Favorite travel card: Amex.
Favorite island(s): Elizabeth Islands.
Favorite beach: Any beach on Nantucket. Also like Horseneck Beach but don’t get there often.
Favorite fancy restaurant(s): Daniel. Café Boulud.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Gateway Tavern.
Favorite bar: Palm Beach Grill.
Favorite fruit: Pomegranate.
Favorite food: Kale salad with some sort of protein on top—chicken, salmon, shrimp!
Least favorite food: Prosciutto.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Bottled water (in the air); Chardonnay (on the ground).
Favorite travel show(s): Would Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives qualify as a travel show?
Favorite travel book: I only read magazines on planes. Usually health & fitness-type magazines.
Right now I am reading: The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Loss And Love.
5 Things you bring on a plane: SmartWater, Altoids, Purell, laptop, gum.
What do you always seem to forget? Headphones.
What do you like least about travel: Germs.
Favorite travel app: GasBuddy, of course!
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting lost in my own hometown and having to rely on Waze.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Paris.
Worst travel moment: Biking alone in the hills in Croatia—in the dark.
What’s your dream destination? Necker Island.
Best travel tip: Drop a few pounds before the trip so you can eat whatever you want (sorta).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.