Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Victoria Smith
Occupation: Social Investment Advisor by day, Blogger by night
Hometown: Calgary, AB, Canada
Residence: Calgary, AB, Canada
College: Mount Royal University
College major: Marketing, Business
Facebook: Girl Tries Life
Short bio: Got my feet wet traveling solo at seventeen when I moved to Scotland to work at an island hotel. Went back to university to get a degree in marketing, work in community investment for an energy company and travel as much as my schedule allows. Took a three-month leave of absence to travel with husband through Southeast Asia. Best life decision ever.
How often do you fly? 5-7 times per average year.
How many countries have you been to? 30
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: One of our many family trips back to Scotland. We immigrated to Canada when I was only two-years-old.
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: Edinburgh.
Least favorite country: Poland.
I have no desire to go to: Saudi Arabia.
Friendliest people in the world: Ireland.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Laos.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Fraser Island, Australia.
Favorite airline: Emirates.
Favorite aircraft type: 787.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Heathrow Star Alliance.
Favorite U.S. airport: JFK.
Favorite international airport: Hong Kong.
Favorite hotel: Le Meridien, Bangkok.
Favorite travel credit card: CIBC Aeroplan.
Favorite island: Isle of Arran, Scotland.
Favorite beach: Brodick Beach, Isle of Arran, Scotland.
Favorite fancy restaurant: The River Cafe, Calgary.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Pagliacci’s, Victoria, BC
Favorite bar: Ming, an Asian bistro-bar in Calgary. Have a Trotsky!
Favorite fruit: Strawberries.
Favorite food: All things chocolate.
Least favorite food: Capers…
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Gin and tonic.
Favorite travel movie(s): One Week.
Favorite travel show(s): Pilot Guides, back when it was Ian Wright
Favorite travel book(s): “Rough Guides.”
Right now I am reading: “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Hecktic Travels, Young Adventuress, Johnny Jet.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Hectictravels.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: iPod, Macbook Air, Kobo, eye mask and ear plugs.
What do you always seem to forget? International adaptors or my iPhone charger!
What do you like least about travel? Getting from the airport to the hotel.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Veuve Cliquot champagne.
Favorite travel app(s): Passbook.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Nearly paying 10 times what something was worth because of a language barrier. What can I say? I really wanted it! Locals thought I was crazy.
I’m embarrassed but I haven’t been to: Toronto!
Worst travel moment: Misplacing my passport in Johannesburg airport after checking in. Seriously thought I’d lost it.
What’s your dream destination? Too many, but the next dream is Argentina.
Best travel tip: Pack your bag. Take out 50% of what you originally put in and repack. You’ll be fine.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.