Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Wade Ueoka
College: Kapiolani Community College
College major: Culinary Arts
Facebook: MW Restaurant
Short bio: Wade Ueoka was born and raised in Honolulu, and graduated from Mid Pacific School. Wade took his first job as a fry cook at Zippy’s. Though his beginnings were humble, they did not deter him. Two years after working at Zippy’s, he landed a job as a prep cook at Alan Wong’s, and seven years after that, Wade rose to become chef de cuisine. Wade possesses a culinary degree from Kapi’olani Community College, and notable stages at The French Laundry and Las Vegas’ Alex. His biggest inspiration, and the one that continues to drive him to this day, is the Asian delicacies he grew up watching his mother cook. In October 2013, Chef Wade Ueoka and wife/pastry chef Michelle Karr-Ueoka opened their first joint venture, MW Restaurant in Honolulu where they specialize in Hawai’i Regional Cuisine. Both have traveled around the world, and draw inspiration from their journeys, but none bigger than the melting pot of Hawai’i, and its exotic local bounty. In February 2014, MW Restaurant was nominated by the James Beard Foundation in the category of Best New Restaurant. Also, in 2012, Ueoka was received the Rising Star Chef award from StarChefs.com.
How often do you fly? Two times a year.
How many countries have you been to? Japan, Germany, Singapore.
How many continents have you been to? 2
Earliest travel memory: Going to Disneyland with my family.
Favorite American city: New York City.
Favorite international city: Tokyo.
I have no desire to go to: Nowhere, all parts of the world interest me.
Friendliest people in the world: People in Hawaii.
Favorite airline: Hawaiian Airlines.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Japan Airlines.
Favorite international airport: Narita.
Favorite travel credit card: Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard.
Favorite island: Maui.
Favorite beach: Waimea Bay.
Favorite fancy restaurant: The French Laundry.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Helena’s Hawaiian Food.
Favorite bar: Home Bar.
Favorite fruit: Yuzu.
Favorite food: All the local flavors.
Least favorite food: Don’t care too much for innards.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Beer.
Favorite travel movie(s): Whatever is showing on the flight.
Right now I am reading: Different Japanese cookbooks.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Travel + Leisure.
5 things you bring on a plane: iPad, extra clothes, notepad, a couple magazines.
What do you always seem to forget? Socks.
What do you like least about travel? Time difference.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Snacks from the country.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Tripping over a manhole in the middle of New York City street.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Europe.
Worst travel moment: Almost missing a flight due to too much drinking.
What’s your dream destination? Italy.
Best travel tip: Eat wherever you can, always a great learning experience to eat different foods of all different regions or countries
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.