A national survey of travelers by Norartis Consumer Health found that 63 percent reported that they or a travel companion, including cruise passengers, have become sick while on vacation. I’ve noticed travelers tend to forget insurance when they travel, particularly on cruises.
I get many questions on whether to buy travel insurance. I say, if you’re going somewhere close and staying with family, I wouldn’t get it. However, if you’re spending a lot of money on a hotel, cruise, honeymoon, or safari, or going far from home or you travel often like I do, then I definitely would. See here for another post I wrote on what to think about when considering travel insurance.
Accidents can happen onboard a cruise, but also on cruise excursions. Many people don’t realize even if a cruise line sponsors activities, the cruise lines may not be responsible for the actions of independent excursion companies.
It can be easy to forget that when you travel you might be hundreds of miles from a properly equipped doctor. Even if you’re in great health, it’s not worth the gamble, in my opinion, if you’re on a cruise. You could break an ankle on a cruise excursion or catch any number of viruses out there.
Allianz also gives out this checklist of questions to remember to ask your cruise company:
- Is the local excursion provider insured, licensed and properly trained?
- Has the cruise line evaluated the reliability of the local excursion provider?
- Have the cruise line and/or the local excursion provider disclaimed liability for injuries that passengers might sustain during excursions?
Disclaimer: I have a working relationship with Alliance Global Assistance USA. However, the opinions expressed in this post are mine based on the findings of the Vacation Confidence Index.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.