5 Tips for Finding Cheaper Airfare
Can you believe that people waste an average of more than six hours planning a flight nowadays? Sounds ridiculous, right?
In yesterday’s tip, we discussed tips for flying to Vegas on the cheap from FLYR—a company that uses data science to predict and find the best airfare—and today FLYR brings us more helpful tips, this time for booking cheaper domestic fights:
- The best time to buy cheap flights (roundtrip) is about 85 days before you plan to leave.
- Try to book before the 14-day and 21-day cutoff windows. Flight purchases booked less than three weeks in advance increase by about 34%. Flight purchases less than two weeks before travel increase an additional 14% on top of that.
- A fact more well known but worth repeating is that prices vary greatly between weekend and weekday flights. Even extended weekend trips are just more costly due to higher demand.
- The “FLYR fare calendar” we’ve pasted below shows predicted fare movements by day. Click to enlarge the image below and aim to book your domestic departure on the dates marked with green. The red days are the most expensive days.
- Try FLYR as a helpful tool the next time you need to book a cheap flight. They even have a “FareKeep tool” that locks in the current price for seven days for around $3.
Here’s hoping everyone that reads this will not be spending an extra six hours planning their next flights.
This tip was originally featured as a story by Caitlin Martin.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 466!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.