Always Hold on to Your Bag
I’ve posted many times about the risks of scams and thieves overseas. When you’re traveling, you’re more likely to find yourself in cities and neighborhoods you don’t know, to visit more touristy spots (which thieves gravitate toward), to carry valuables on you (transporting between places, cameras), and on and on. But rarely do the risks of travel look like this.
A few weeks ago, we featured a video shot by a Hong Kong tourist named Eric Lau, who had his backpack stolen while riding a tuk tuk in Thailand. As you can see in the video (it’s posted again above), the crazy part is that Eric’s tuk tuk driver appears to signal to another driver, who in a blur snatches Eric’s bag and rides away. It just goes to show how important it is to stay on your guard, especially in an unfamiliar place. All it takes is half a second to lose your bag!
Want to keep your belongings safe?
Keep your belongings safe with a caddy or money belt that can be concealed beneath your clothing. Here are some of my recommendations from TravelSmith (and don’t forget to use the promo code JOHNNY for 15% off and free shipping on orders of at least $50!):
1. Waterproof Caddy ($27)
2. Eagle Creek Bra Stash ($13.95)
3. Leather Money Belt ($49)
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.