Since most of the United States is fighting through below-normal temperatures right now, I bet many are dreaming of a trip to Hawaii and Waikiki (here’s a list of current Hawaii deals I’ve compiled). I know I am! If you’re lucky enough to make it to Waikiki for work or vacation, today’s tip can probably help. Chances are, you’re going to wake up super early because of the time change. Here’s what I suggest for a perfect morning there:
- Walk to Diamond Head from the Sheraton Waikiki (the heart of Waikiki), which should take one hour moving at a regular pace. Since you aren’t driving, you won’t need to pay $5 for parking when at the park, but you will need to pay a $1 entry fee for each person (cash only).
- Climb to the top of Diamond Head, which should take about 20 minutes if you don’t stop. On the way down, near the entrance, is a bathroom. I suggest using it even if you don’t have to go because you won’t find another one for a while.
- A few minutes after you walk through the tunnel to exit the crater, call Bogart’s (808-739-0999) and order an acai bowl. They usually take 15 minutes to make and cost $9 each (they only take cash, too). When you get to Bogart’s, bypass the long line and go straight to the takeout counter to pick up your bowl. You can then either look for a table in Bogart’s or, since there’s a slim chance you’ll find one, use the tables in front of Surf N Turf Tacos, which shares the same strip mall parking lot (and the restaurant is closed in the morning).
Good to know: Bring a hat, sunscreen and lip balm. If you don’t have a bottle of water from your hotel, I suggest going to one of the many (and I mean many) ABC Stores in Waikiki and buying one for $0.89.
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.