How to Play the Sound of a Muted TV through Your Phone
On Thursday I taped a travel tech segment for Leo Laporte’s The New Screen Savers show. I gave Megan, the host, a list of my favorite travel apps and when she saw STAYconnect on there, she asked if it was the app that can play the sound of muted TVs in airport lounges through a phone. I was like, “What?!” I had no idea there was such an app until I got back to my hotel and did some research. Sure enough, there’s a free app (available on both Android and iOS), called Tunity, that allows you to hear any TV directly on your device. It’s perfect for travelers who find muted TVs in airports, gyms and bars.
Tunity (free for iOS and Android) works with live TV broadcasts only and they currently support over 100 channels (more coming soon). I tested it with my hotel TV and the local San Francisco news wasn’t one of the supported channels (though Tunity does have a bunch of other local stations). I then tried CNN and sure enough, it worked! You must be within close proximity of the television to access streamed audio. All you do is point your phone with the app open toward the TV to scan it, and voila! If the audio is not perfectly in sync with the TV, you can use the button labeled “Fine Tune Audio Sync” at the bottom of the screen to adjust the stream delay/latency. Make sure you toggle on location services/GPS and click “Agree” if you get a location permissions pop-up.
This tip was recently a popular Travel App of the Week post.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 691!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.