The Best Time to Book Hotels
TripAdvisor recently released their “Best Time to Book” report, revealing the least expensive times to book hotels for summer travel in popular destinations around the world. It’s full of great information. From the report:
“TripAdvisor analyzed hotel booking data from April 2014-February 2016 in nine popular regions around the world for the summer months of June, July and August. The best time to book was defined as periods when hotel prices were less than the average for the destination. Below is the breakdown of potential savings for nine world regions and 25 popular world cities when comparing the least expensive to most expensive times to book hotels for summer.
Best Time to Book Hotels for Summer in World Regions
- United States — U.S. hotel rates consistent but travelers can save by booking inside 2 months — U.S. hotel pricing remains fairly steady throughout the year, but those booking within 2 months of their summer trip can save 7% on their hotel.
- Europe — Plan for longer lead times when booking summer hotels in Europe — Travelers looking to visit Europe during the summer months should plan to book their hotel rooms between 3-5 months out to save 23% percent versus the peak booking period for the region.
- Asia — Asia value to be had booking inside 3 months — Booking a hotel within three months of a summer trip is the best time in Asia, when travelers can save 23% versus peak pricing. Asia prices rise slightly 3-5 weeks out, before seeing the lowest prices within the final two weeks before the travel date.
- Caribbean — Within 4 months best for the Caribbean — Booking within 4 months is the sweet spot for Caribbean hotels for summer when travelers can save 7% compared to the peak pricing periods.
- Central America — Modest savings in Central America within 3 months — Booking a hotel within three months of a summer trip is the most cost-effective approach for Central America, when travelers can save 7% compared to peak price weeks.
- South America — Inside 4 months ideal for South America — Travelers planning a South American trip can find 20% savings by booking within four months of the trip. For those willing to wait, they can save an additional 2-4% booking within the final few weeks before the travel date.
- Middle East — Within 4 months best for Middle East — For those planning a Middle East trip, inside 4 months is the optimal booking period when travelers can save 24%. Prices increase slightly during weeks 3-4 before dropping again for last minute deals within a couple of weeks of the travel date.
- Africa — Wide booking window for African hotels — Travelers booking a hotel for summer in Africa can save 21% when booking within 5 months of the trip. Hotel rates rise slightly between 3-5 weeks out, before dropping in the final two weeks before the travel date.
- South Pacific — South Pacific savings inside 5 months — For summer trips to the South Pacific, travelers can save 19% or more per night by booking within 5 months of their travel date.
Best Time to Book Hotels for Summer in Popular World Cities for Travel
- Bangkok — Within 3 months for 16% savings
- Barcelona — 2-7 months out for 27% savings
- Beijing — 2-6 months out for 16% savings
- Berlin — 2-5 months out for 33% savings
- Buenos Aires — 1-4 months out for 19% savings
- Cancun — 2-4 months for 16% savings
- Cape Town — Within 3 months for 13% savings
- Dubai — Within 2 months for 40% savings
- Dublin — 2-5 months out for 14% savings
- Hanoi — Within 3 months for 16% savings
- Istanbul — Within 5 months for 29% savings
- Jakarta — Within 3 months for 39% savings
- London — 3-5 months out for 18% savings
- Marrakech — Within 4 months for 28% savings
- Moscow — 4-7 months out for 55% savings
- Mumbai — Within 3 months for 17% savings
- New York City — 2-4 months out for 25% savings
- Orlando — 1-4 months for 10% savings
- Paris — Within 4 months for 32% savings
- Prague — 2-5 months for 33% savings
- Rio — 3-5 months out for 11% savings
- Rome — 3-5 months for 32% savings
- Singapore — 2 weeks to 5 months for 26% savings
- Sydney — Within 5 months for 34% savings
- Tokyo — 2-5 months for 31% savings”
As you can see, the research showed that the best time period to book varies with the region or city where the traveler is looking to visit, and that for most destinations, the hotel rates change gradually over time, without dramatic increases or decreases in price.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 655!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.