Turn Off Your Phone While Cruising
I recently suggested that international travelers should consider getting T-Mobile since they now offer free (basic) data in 120+ countries. However, a few weeks ago on a Windstar cruise from Barcelona to Rome,
I learned the hard way that on a cruise you should turn your mobile device off or put it in airplane mode no matter who your carrier is. That’s because I woke up one morning to text messages reading, “Welcome to Iceland” then “Welcome to France” (which is where we were) and then when I returned home I had accrued over $380 in roaming fees without even using my phone. Ouch!
Luckily, I called T-Mobile and they credited my account but it could’ve been because I had an awesome agent. Turn your phone off or put it in airplane mode as soon as you leave port to prevent this from happening.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 189!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.