When to Buy Flights in 2016
A recent report from Expedia and the Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC) has shed some light on the year ahead and the flight booking patterns expected. Terabytes of flight data from more than 10 billion flights were analyzed, as, according to the report, “fare changes in a previous year often are good indicators for the year to come.”
All in all, the findings suggest 2016 should be another good year for travel, especially as the US dollar holds strong against the Euro, etc. Among the takeaways, per Expedia’s Viewfinder blog:
- “Economy air ticket prices declined roughly 8 percent between October 2014 and October 2015, and that the trend of decreasing prices should continue through the first few months of 2016”
- “Intra-Europe routes will be among the best bargains in 2016”
- The best time to buy airfare will be “roughly 57 days in advance” and “air ticket prices purchased around this point yield a 10 percent savings versus the average fare”
- “The best time to buy an economy ticket for another destination within Europe is 140 days in advance”
- Tuesday remains the optimum weekday to buy airfare, but “weekends provide an opportunity to find great deals, too”
You can read the full report here, and some more analysis here. Of course, I believe there’s no single best time to buy airfare, a point that I spoke about at the New York Times Travel Show this past weekend. Check out my 17 ways to find cheap airfare here.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 590!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.