Did you know that today is “Travel Tuesday”? In a great, four-minute segment on TODAY that aired this morning (watch it above), correspondent Vicky Nguyen shares why the Tuesday after Cyber Monday has emerged as, in the words of Liana Corwin of Hopper, “the best day in the post-Thanksgiving sale period to book flights and hotels” with “more deals on this day than Cyber Monday and Black Friday combined.”
In the TODAY segment, Nguyen shares some of the best places to go for travel deals today. And there are plenty of deals to be had, especially if you can be flexible (and are looking to travel after the Christmas holiday period). In fact, says Nguyen, “consumers can expect to see 18 deals per second today with an average savings of 40% on airfare [with] airlines like Icelandair, TAP Portugal, Fiji Airways, and Alaska Airlines joining in on the savings.”
My advice: Where to find travel deals on Travel Tuesday
My advice is to shop around for deals but avoid going on a spending frenzy. There’s a lot of hype around Travel Tuesday as the travel biz is trying hard to get it to stick like Black Friday and Cyber Monday have. That said, there are plenty of good deals out there, including these airline and hotel deals:
- Alaska Airlines: fares discounted on travel January 7-March 11
- Scandinavian Airlines: $349 roundtrip fares between the U.S. and Europe (January 8-May 14)
- JetBlue: fares discounted on travel December 10-February 13, excluding holidays
- The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas: buy one room, get one free (December 10-February 29)
- HotelTonight: 25% off room rates with promo code HTDEAL25
For more deals today, you can also simply look for deals on the websites of your favorite travel companies, including all the airlines (like Icelandair), hotel bookers (like HotelTonight), and cruise lines (like MSC Cruises) mentioned in the TODAY segment. And you can use the tips below to find cheap flights today and all throughout the year (most are included in my 17 ways to find cheap flights):
- Set up fare alerts for certain flights
- Be flexible
- Don’t forget that you have 24 hours to cancel a flight originating in the U.S. if you book it at least seven days in advance
- Sign up to newsletters like ours and Scott’s Cheap Flights
- Follow your favorite brands and bloggers on social media so you know when there’s a deal
- Buy travel insurance (here’s what I use) to protect your trip (and remember that you can’t buy travel insurance once a storm is named)
- Use the Hopper app’s Deals Feed feature (seen in the segment) to see what fares are discounted from your city
In short, if you like to travel, or you have a trip in mind, Travel Tuesday is a good day to at least think about booking. More deal roundups are below:
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday Travel Deals
- Black Friday, Cyber Monday travel deals: Flights, cruises, hotels, more sales for your next trip – USA TODAY
- The Best Cyber Monday and Travel Tuesday Flight Deals – Outside
- Where to Get the Best Travel Tuesday Deals – Fortune
- Why Travel Tuesday Could Actually Be the Best Day for Flight Deals – Afar
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,593!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.