In the old days, the airlines used to retire old jets to the desert. As Boeing and a company in Minnesota called Aircraft Demolition show in this video, aircraft like this 33-year-old 757—which used to fly for United Airlines—can now be recycled.
As King 5 reports, “The Boeing demonstration is part of a larger recycling initiative for the aircraft manufacturer. After stripping this plane, dubbed the ecoDemonstrator 757, of any reusable parts, remaining pieces will be recycled into new aircraft and other usable items. Only 10 percent will go to landfills.” I love what Boeing’s Director of Environmental Performance Jeanne Yu said in the story: “We’re finding ways to reuse it or make it go back to the earth more naturally.”
It’s a really interesting three-minute report and it’s comforting to learn that not only will recycling be a big part of the estimated 20,000 aircraft being retired in the next 20 years, but also that it wasn’t very easy for the giant tractor to tear off the wing. I’ll now be more relaxed when I see an aircraft’s wings flaps in turbulence.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.