In the old days, the airlines used to retire old jets to the desert. As Boeing and a company in Minnesota called Aircraft Demolition show in this video, aircraft like this 33-year-old 757—which used to fly for United Airlines—can now be recycled.
As King 5 reports, “The Boeing demonstration is part of a larger recycling initiative for the aircraft manufacturer. After stripping this plane, dubbed the ecoDemonstrator 757, of any reusable parts, remaining pieces will be recycled into new aircraft and other usable items. Only 10 percent will go to landfills.” I love what Boeing’s Director of Environmental Performance Jeanne Yu said in the story: “We’re finding ways to reuse it or make it go back to the earth more naturally.”
It’s a really interesting three-minute report and it’s comforting to learn that not only will recycling be a big part of the estimated 20,000 aircraft being retired in the next 20 years, but also that it wasn’t very easy for the giant tractor to tear off the wing. I’ll now be more relaxed when I see an aircraft’s wings flaps in turbulence.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.