I’m sure you’ve been warned before to keep your purse, bag and/or backpack safe from potential thieves, but I bet you never knew just how fast thieves can act—and how they can really come out of nowhere. This video—filmed by a victim of theft, Eric Lau, a tourist from Hong Kong—shows just how quickly belongings can disappear.
The worst part of the video is that it appears that the Thai tuk tuk driver slowed down while cruising the streets of Bangkok and signaled to the thieves on the motorcycle that the time was right. According to the Daily Mail, the bag contained about $500 total (13,000 Thai Baht and HK$1,000), as well as all of Lau’s travel documents. The suspect(s) have yet to be apprehended, even though the license plate is clearly visible in the video. Bottom line: Never leave your bag within easy reaching distance of crooks, regardless of whether you’re in a tuk tuk, taxi, café, or train.
Want to keep your belongings safe?
Keep your belongings safe with a caddy or money belt that can be concealed beneath your clothing. Here are some of my recommendations from TravelSmith (and don’t forget to use the promo code JOHNNY for 15% off and free shipping on orders of at least $50!):
1. Waterproof Caddy ($27)
2. Eagle Creek Bra Stash ($13.95)
3. Leather Money Belt ($49)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.