I’m sure you’ve been warned before to keep your purse, bag and/or backpack safe from potential thieves, but I bet you never knew just how fast thieves can act—and how they can really come out of nowhere. This video—filmed by a victim of theft, Eric Lau, a tourist from Hong Kong—shows just how quickly belongings can disappear.
The worst part of the video is that it appears that the Thai tuk tuk driver slowed down while cruising the streets of Bangkok and signaled to the thieves on the motorcycle that the time was right. According to the Daily Mail, the bag contained about $500 total (13,000 Thai Baht and HK$1,000), as well as all of Lau’s travel documents. The suspect(s) have yet to be apprehended, even though the license plate is clearly visible in the video. Bottom line: Never leave your bag within easy reaching distance of crooks, regardless of whether you’re in a tuk tuk, taxi, café, or train.
Want to keep your belongings safe?
Keep your belongings safe with a caddy or money belt that can be concealed beneath your clothing. Here are some of my recommendations from TravelSmith (and don’t forget to use the promo code JOHNNY for 15% off and free shipping on orders of at least $50!):
1. Waterproof Caddy ($27)
3. Leather Money Belt ($49)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.