I’m sure you’ve been warned before to keep your purse, bag and/or backpack safe from potential thieves, but I bet you never knew just how fast thieves can act—and how they can really come out of nowhere. This video—filmed by a victim of theft, Eric Lau, a tourist from Hong Kong—shows just how quickly belongings can disappear.
The worst part of the video is that it appears that the Thai tuk tuk driver slowed down while cruising the streets of Bangkok and signaled to the thieves on the motorcycle that the time was right. According to the Daily Mail, the bag contained about $500 total (13,000 Thai Baht and HK$1,000), as well as all of Lau’s travel documents. The suspect(s) have yet to be apprehended, even though the license plate is clearly visible in the video. Bottom line: Never leave your bag within easy reaching distance of crooks, regardless of whether you’re in a tuk tuk, taxi, café, or train.
Want to keep your belongings safe?
Keep your belongings safe with a caddy or money belt that can be concealed beneath your clothing. Here are some of my recommendations from TravelSmith (and don’t forget to use the promo code JOHNNY for 15% off and free shipping on orders of at least $50!):
1. Waterproof Caddy ($27)
2. Eagle Creek Bra Stash ($13.95)
3. Leather Money Belt ($49)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.