Ever wonder where the food that’s been confiscated by US Customs and Border Protection goes? Thanks to this video from the Great Big Story, we now know, at least as it happens at JFK airport in New York. In the video, you’ll see US customs officer Ellie Scaffa share that she and her team at JFK confiscate between 400 to 600 pounds of food every day. Sadly, the food isn’t put to good use; instead, it’s wheeled across the airport in contraband containers and then inspected and chopped up and put into what they call “the Grinder.” So you don’t get your items confiscated and/or risk a fine, here’s the list of food that can be brought back to the United States.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.