It took me a while to learn most of the major airport codes around the world but now that I have them down pat, it feels normal to speak in this code when talking to industry people and my aviation geek friends. I’m often asked what airport I’m referring to, and worse, how the airport I’m referring to got its code. Well, as Vox begins to touch on, there’s a whole history behind the modern three-letter IATA system, which came about when pilots decided the National Weather Service’s original two-letter system was inadequate as a way to identify all airports. And fortunately, there’s airportcod.es.
Airportcod.es will help you with all of the above, and more. It’s laid out really simply and in an eye-pleasing manner, and there are close to 300 airport codes listed (I counted 276)—from ABE (Allentown) to ZRH (Zurich). For each airport, with one click, you can learn the quick version of the story behind its airport code (here’s seven of them).
H/T to Vox.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.