I learned this and all kinds of other good stuff the other night when I had dinner with the founder, Ed Kushins, and his wife Terri in Hermosa Beach, California. After they toured me around their amazing home (which they frequently swap with other members), we went to dinner at a nearby restaurant, where I asked all kinds of questions. In the end, I came to the conclusion that HomeExchange.com is a great option for those that love to save money when they travel and live like a local—and are open to having others in their home(s).
There are currently 58,000-plus members on HomeExchange.com in more than 150 countries, and the site is available in 15 languages. To date the site is responsible for more than one million property swaps!
Here’s how it works: New members begin by listing their properties so that other community members can view them. There’s a membership fee of $9.95 per month that grants access to an unlimited number of properties, essentially allowing members to stay in the home of their choice for no additional cost beyond the flat monthly rate.
HomeExchange.com curates lists of available properties based on types of travelers and styles of trips. Collections include: Romantic, Family Fun, Urban Rush, Pet-Friendly, Beach & Surf, Gourmet Paradise, Golf Trips, and Arts & Culture.
The whole key to swapping is communication. Ed even recommends doing a Skype interview with the hosts before arranging a stay so you can meet them and tour the property before agreeing. After the trip, members are encouraged to write reviews to highlight information that might be helpful for others in the community.
FYI: HomeExchange.com also hosts a collection of high-end luxury properties and one-of-a-kind villas listed on HomeExchangeGold.com, available for a yearly membership fee of $500.
Have you HomeExchanged before and if not would you?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.