I first learned about HotelFees.TravelersUnited.org reading this Washington Post article by my colleague Christopher Elliott—called “Is the FTC doing enough to stop those mysterious hotel ‘resort fees’?” Built to push back against fee-charging hotels, the site was founded by my buddy Charlie Leocha, who has become a watchdog for travelers in Washington, D.C. and is now fighting one of travelers’ biggest pet peeves: resort fees.
As Charlie is quoted as saying in the story, “The charging of mandatory resort fees by hotels results in a misrepresentation of the true price of the hotel room.” He calls the practice of quoting a low price and then adding a mandatory fee later in the booking “drip pricing,” which is “harmful to consumers and undermines fair competition.”
If you agree that the FTC should take action to end resort fees, check out Charlie’s site and use the links on this page to file a complaint with the FTC or contact Attorney Generals and members of Congress.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.