I just spoke on a panel at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and one of my fellow panelists, Jen Leo, turned me onto this new website. Hotels By Day does exactly what the name says: It finds hotels that will sell you a room during the day.
It’s a win-win. Hotels can double-sell a room and customers can find a home base when they’re visiting a city just for a day or on a long layover. It looks like Hotels By Day is currently in 16 cities, most of which are major cities like New York and Los Angeles—but there’s also Kenilworth, which is in New Jersey (I had to look that one up). Available prices and times vary, but some examples:
- The Flat Iron Hotel in New York City has rooms from 9 am – 6 pm for $137
- The Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach (near LAX and a perfect spot to pass layover time; here’s my story) has rooms from 9 am – 2 pm for $175
- The Westlake Inn in Cleveland charges $56 for a room from 10 am – 7 pm
Obviously, prices depend on the city and type of hotel.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.