Thanks to Jen Leo from the LA Times for turning me onto this interactive travel map tool from Money magazine. In no way is it the end-all-be-all of travel searches, but it’s a great way to explore what kind of vacation in different price tiers. Its interactive map asks you a few travel choices. For example, do you want a domestic or international trip? Are you looking to go to the beach, to a city or on an adventure? Then, there are four categories to reflect the amount of money you want to spend: one dollar sign to four. After you answer those questions, the tool will show you on a map which destinations you should be looking into.
Once you choose a destination on the map and click its flag, a window pops up to share more. For Jacksonville, they say it will cost you $148.62 a day. That includes $101.50 a night for a hotel, $14.50 for an inexpensive meal and $3.63 per mile in a taxi. Keep in mind that flights are not calculated and hotel prices are averages based on Hotels.com.
Again, it gives users a good starting place but it leaves out all kinds of great destinations. For example, if you put in one dollar sign for a domestic beach destination it only offers Jacksonville, Florida. Of course, there are hundreds of other choices besides Jacksonville.
Tip: If you want to travel for cheap, consider renting a home or apartment and cooking your own meals there. Here are 5 vacation rental tips from the founder of HomeAway.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.