Thanks to my buddy Rudy Maxa for turning me on to this car rental website that helps travelers save money—and some even make money. RelayRides doesn’t own any cars. Instead, it acts as a middleman between owners of private cars and people who might want to rent them. It’s currently available in 2,100+ cities and 300+ airports throughout the United States (but not New York).
According to the website, car owners are able to make hundreds—or even thousands—of dollars a month by simply and safely renting out their cars to visitors in need of rental cars. RelayRides covers the owner’s car with a million-dollar policy and will even check out a renter’s driving history. It also shares any revenue with the car’s owner. Rudy rented a ten-year-old Prius with about 100,000 miles on it for five days for $120. Total. He said it wasn’t shiny or new but it was half the price of what Hertz was offering.
Renters can choose cars from A3 to Z4 with prices up to 40% lower than those of other car rental options. What’s really nice is that some cars through the service may even be available right in your own neighborhood. There are other similar car services out there (I’ve written about FlightCar) but this one seems to be the biggest.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.