Hotel review sites can be a big help, but of course the problem with them is that you usually don’t know if a reviews is bogus or not. There are competitors and disgruntled workers bashing hotels, and on the flip side, there are hotel employees getting paid to generate fake glowing reviews. In fact, I have a friend that used to work for a hotel, and she and her colleagues were asked to create fake reviews. The hotel would pay for them to spend the night so it looked legit, but obviously it wasn’t.
So what’s a consumer supposed to do? I always say take reviews with a grain of salt. I usually throw out the best and the worst and use the rest. However, there’s a new website out there based on research at Cornell University called Review Skeptic, which uses machine learning to identify fake hotel reviews with supposedly almost 90% accuracy. Users can copy and paste a review into a box on the site to have it analyzed. Review Skeptic also asks users to flag reviews that they know are real or fake to help improve their algorithm. The site works best with English hotel reviews and it warns that its service is offered “for entertainment purposes only.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.