If you receive my Daily Travel Tip newsletter (you can sign up here), you learned about this website earlier today. As discussed in the tip, the government-managed safercar.gov is a valuable and important resource for all travelers that rent cars in the US, as expertly reported in Jeff Rossen’s TODAY news piece.
It turns out there’s been a recall laid out for over 34 million vehicles that have Takata airbags, which have been tied to over 100 injuries and eight deaths as they’ve unexpectedly deployed on the road. Cars equipped with these faulty airbags are being taken off the market, but it turns out that rental car companies are not required by law to take recalled cars off the lot! Like Jeff, I think that’s crazy, as it means the next time you rent a car, your vehicle could be putting you in unnecessary danger. According to Jeff Rossen:
“Experts say you should check the VIN (vehicle identification number)—the 17-digit code generally printed at the bottom corner of your vehicle’s dash on the driver’s side‚ before you drive it. Enter the VIN at safercar.gov to quickly learn whether the vehicle has an open safety recall.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.