If you read my round-the-world with SPG AmEx story, you probably noticed I referenced the Great Circle Mapper. It’s been a favorite of travel bloggers and aviation geeks for years, as it allows users to quickly and easily create maps depicting their travels. No sign-up is required; you just log on and start inputting airport codes or locations by name.
The purpose of the Great Circle Mapper is to display maps depicting the great circle path between locations and to compute distances along those paths. What’s a great circle path, you ask? According to the founder, “a great circle path is the shortest path on the surface of a sphere between two points on that sphere. Technically, the term geodesic path should be used since Earth is not a true sphere, but the great circle terminology is common usage.” Fortunately, the site isn’t as complex as that last sentence.
To give you an idea of how simple it is to create a map, I plugged in the airport codes from that round-the-world trip: LAX-LHR-MRS;CDG-DOH-DPS-TPE-LAX. Note: Since didn’t fly from Marseilles to Paris (I took the train) I used a semi colon instead of a dash and the Great Circle Mapper interpreted it perfectly. It also showed the total miles (23,196).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.