If you read my round-the-world with SPG AmEx story, you probably noticed I referenced the Great Circle Mapper. It’s been a favorite of travel bloggers and aviation geeks for years, as it allows users to quickly and easily create maps depicting their travels. No sign-up is required; you just log on and start inputting airport codes or locations by name.
The purpose of the Great Circle Mapper is to display maps depicting the great circle path between locations and to compute distances along those paths. What’s a great circle path, you ask? According to the founder, “a great circle path is the shortest path on the surface of a sphere between two points on that sphere. Technically, the term geodesic path should be used since Earth is not a true sphere, but the great circle terminology is common usage.” Fortunately, the site isn’t as complex as that last sentence.
To give you an idea of how simple it is to create a map, I plugged in the airport codes from that round-the-world trip: LAX-LHR-MRS;CDG-DOH-DPS-TPE-LAX. Note: Since didn’t fly from Marseilles to Paris (I took the train) I used a semi colon instead of a dash and the Great Circle Mapper interpreted it perfectly. It also showed the total miles (23,196).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.