I was supposed to be in Cuba this week on the inaugural Fathom cruise to the country (check out our coverage of the ship and itinerary), which was the first cruise ship from the US in 50 years. Sadly, my wife and I had to pull out because she’s pregnant and we didn’t want to take a chance with the Zika virus.
If you’ve never been to Cuba and have all kinds of questions (my hand is raised, too), check out this helpful first-timer’s Cuba guide from Lonely Planet. Of course, they want you to buy their Cuba guide book (it’s free for Kindle users or $16.16 on Amazon) but on its own, this page provides all kinds of great info and it’s free. For example, did you know if you lose the tourist card they give you on arrival it will take at least a day for the card to be replaced? Or how about that Cuba is a cash society and they have two currencies? The Cuban peso is for locals only and the other convertible Cuban peso (or CUC) is for tourists. The CUC is around 25 times the price of the local peso so be sure to check your change as the notes look similar. I also learned that it’s best to take a common currency like the Euro into the country and exchange it once you land. Don’t take US dollars.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.