Thanks to reader Barbara for turning me onto the UK’s email travel alerts. I find it just as useful as she did, as clarified in an email to me:
“I find the travel.state.gov site not very useful, but the UK one is fantastic. I get more information from them. It even gives advice about the sports teams going from one European country to another to play. At first I thought that was useless since I don’t follow sports; however, I realized it gives me info about areas to stay away from on any given day because of traffic and crowds. When in Europe I check it all the time. It is geared for UK citizens but gives very useful info for non-citizens as well. I was in Europe during the Paris attacks and was made aware of the situation by their emails. I was grateful since I was in countries where I did not speak much of the local language so TV news wasn’t helpful. I received nothing from US State Department even though I had registered my travel plans with them.”
You can choose to see see info on all countries or just pick the ones you’re going to. Here’s an example of an email I received the other day from them on Israel:
“Only use the light rail between Mount Herzl and Ammunition Hill. Avoid travel on the light rail beyond Ammunition Hill; there have been regular violent incidents on that part of the route.”
This is the kind of timely information that travelers long for, so I highly recommend signing up! And it’s free, so you have nothing to lose since!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.