Over the past few years I’ve been slowly building a fairly large social media presence on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Well, it turns out that I—and anyone that has a large following on Instagram or Facebook—can now cash my followers in for a 5%, 10%, 15%, or 100% discount at the Nordic Light Hotel in Stockholm, Sweden. It’s the first hotel in the world to accept social networks as a currency.
They write on their website that “the idea sprang from identifying that people spend as much time on creating these networks as on working. So networks should be worth just as much as money.” The hotel claims the strategy has been a huge success, as 194 people have stayed with them using this ”currency” for a total of 423 nights, and they’ve attracted a lot of attention, particularly in international media. Here’s what your following can get you:
- 5,000 followers or more = 5% discount
- 10,000 followers or more = 10% discount
- 15,000 followers or more = 15% discount
- 100,000 followers or more = 100% discount
- 500 private friends or more = 5% discount
- 1,000 private friends or more = 10% discount
- 1,500 private friends or more = 15% discount
- 2,000 private friends or more = 100% discount
- 100,000 fans or more = 100% discount
From the site: This grants you seven hotel nights per year. Applies a standard room for maximum 2 persons. Reservation must be made five days before arrival and a maximum of 3 months ahead. The reservation must be guaranteed with a credit card.
- Nordic Light Hotel has a number of rooms available for this payment method. If the guest does not shares the posts that are necessary to take part of the discount/free nights, the guest will be charged full price for the stay.
- Pages of a products/communities/companies does not qualify.
- If the guest does not have the amount of friends/followers/fans that is necessary, Nordic Light Hotel may charge the guest full price for the stay.
- The guest must be 18 years or older to stay at Nordic Light Hotel.
- The discount applies to accommodation only and not products from the mini bar or restaurant/bar.
Hat tip to The Travel Guru for alerting me.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.