Each Friday, we feature a reader-inspired tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This Friday, with the pandemic still wreaking havoc, I thought I’d share a cool piece of news for all the travel-lovers stuck at home. Unclaimed Baggage, the “country’s only merchant of unclaimed and lost airline baggage and its contents,” has made its thousands and thousands of treasures available online.
Prior to this week, you had to travel to Unclaimed Baggage’s 50,000-square-foot facility in Scottsboro, Alabama, to peruse and buy items from its unique inventory. If you’re wondering, it works like this: If a bag is lost by an airline, the airline generally tries to return the bag to its owner for three months. After that, its owner is compensated and the bag and its contents make their way to Unclaimed Baggage, which puts them up for sale. According to Unclaimed Baggage, only about 0.03% of all passenger bags meet this fate.
I almost visited the Scottsboro store a couple of years again when I was in Alabama for a TBEX conference (Unclaimed Baggage even wrote about me on its website!). It was over an hour away from where I was in Alabama as it’s in the boondocks, so I didn’t make it. Well, thanks to COVID-19 the company has had to pivot by putting the contents of unclaimed luggage online, letting us all browse from home. The deals I’ve seen so far aren’t that great, but who knows? You might find something that once belonged to you!
More on how Unclaimed Baggage handles unclaimed luggage
One of my writers visited and wrote about the Scottsboro store and how it all works back in 2009. Read her story here.
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.