This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
So, you’re thinking about trying for the Citi Premier® Card to be your next go-to rewards credit card. It comes with a nice signup bonus, an annual hotel credit, and the ability to use your points for shopping and travel. Here are several reasons why you might consider trying now for this top travel credit card.
Trying for The Citi Premier 60,000 Points Signup Bonus
The Citi Premier signup bonus is currently 60,000 ThankYou points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months from account opening. Your bonus points are worth up to $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com.
This is one of the highest signup bonuses for similar travel credit cards.
Before you try, however, it’s important to verify that you qualify for this bonus if you currently have other Citi credit cards that earn ThankYou points.
You’re ineligible for this bonus if you have received a new member bonus or closed another ThankYou rewards credit card in the last 24 months. Some of the examples include the Citi Rewards+® Card and the Citi Prestige® Card.
If this application guideline doesn’t affect you, you’re eligible for one of this card’s best signup bonuses.
Related: Best Credit Card Offers
$100 Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
If you typically have at least one $500+ hotel stay each year, you can get a $100 discount. This annual savings benefit applies to one qualifying stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) that you reserve through thankyou.com.
It’s possible to book a room at most mid-tier and luxury properties across the United States and the world.
In addition, this benefit offsets the $95 annual fee.
This can be one of the best hotel credit cards if you are looking for flexibility but will also be spending at least $500.
Multiple Ways to Earn Bonus Points
There are several ways you can earn 3x ThankYou points on purchases with the Citi Premier® Card:
- Air travel
- Gas stations
Travel, gas, and food-related purchases can be a significant part of your monthly budget. You will earn unlimited bonus points for these purchases so you can book award trips more often.
Each non-bonus purchase earns 1 point per $1. You can read more about this in our Citi Premier Card review.
Can Convert Citi Double Cash Points to ThankYou Points
Instead of earning 1x ThankYou points on base purchases, you might prefer a Citi Premier and Citi® Double Cash Card credit card combo.
The Double Cash earns 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. As a result, you can earn unlimited 2% cash back on each purchase.
With the Premier Card and Double Cash Card, instead of the default option of redeeming your Double Cash earnings for statement credits or account deposits, you can convert them into ThankYou points.
Each Double Cash cent is worth 1 point and the redemption minimum is $1.
This low redemption benefit is nice as the standard redemption minimum is $25 for cash rewards.
Related: Citi Double Cash Card Review
Flexible Redemption Options
Cardholders can redeem their points on gift cards, merchandise, travel, cash, and more. Your Citi Premier® Card ThankYou points are most valuable when you redeem them for gift cards. This flexibility lets you use your rewards for travel, dining, or shopping. You can also use your points at Amazon.com and BestBuy.com.
You can also redeem your points for cash back and online shopping credits. However, your points are worth 0.8 cents instead of 1 cent.
You can transfer points to airline and hotel partners (more on that in the next section).
It’s also possible to combine points from your other ThankYou-earning credit cards. If you’re traveling with another person, Citi lets you transfer up to 100,000 points per year to another ThankYou member.
1:1 Point Transfers
You can also transfer points at a 1:1 ratio in 1,000-point increments to several international airline partners. This may get you more mileage from each ThankYou point.
The Citi transfer partners include:
- Air France/KLM
- Cathay Pacific
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Airways
- EVA Air
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Thai Airways
- Virgin Atlantic
There are also two hotel transfer partners, Choice Privileges (2:1 transfer ratio) and Wyndham Rewards (1:1 transfer ratio).
These transfer partners are best for booking international flights as Jetblue is the only domestic transfer partner.
However, you may also be able to book partner flights on domestic carriers. For example, you can transfer your points to Avianca to book an award flight on United Airlines.
No Foreign Transaction Fee
The Citi Premier® Card is international travel-friendly as you won’t pay a foreign transaction fee on overseas purchases.
The $95 annual fee is also competitive with similar travel credit cards and is affordable.
Authorized user cards are complimentary.
Purchase Protection Benefits
You can enjoy several benefits that can reimburse your qualifying purchases if accidents happen:
- Damage and theft protection: Up to $10,000 per purchase ($50,000 per year) for accidental theft and damage within 90 days of purchase
- Extended warranty protection: Get up to 24 additional months of warranty protection
As this card is a Mastercard product, you can also get cell phone coverage from Mastercard by paying your monthly cell phone bill with your Citi Premier® Card.
Unfortunately, this card doesn’t offer complimentary travel insurance.
Mastercard World Elite Benefits
The Citi Premier is a World Elite Mastercard product.
As a result, you can enjoy several Mastercard-provided perks:
- $5 monthly Lyft credits after 3 ride purchases
- 5% back on HelloFresh purchases for your next purchase (and up to 14 free meals for new members)
- DoorDash discounts
- Free ShopRunner membership (2-day shipping and complimentary return shipping)
- Exclusive golf and travel experiences
- Up to $1,000 in cell phone protection (up to $800 per claim, 2 claims per year)
- Amenity credits at Mastercard Luxury Hotels and Resorts
- 24/7 travel concierge
It’s worth looking into these travel and lifestyle benefits to enjoy some extra savings. Luxury travelers can benefit the most.
Flexible Application Guidelines
Another reason to consider trying for the Citi Premier is if you’re currently subject to the application guidelines of other banks. For example, the Chase Bank 5/24 rule is one of the most notorious setbacks for travel hackers and credit card enthusiasts.
The Citi Premier is an excellent alternative to the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card as it has similar benefit and redemption options. And, it can be easier to qualify for if you have opened multiple cards in the past 24 months. You can compare the Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Citi Premier in our review.
There are two Citi application rules to consider:
- Only apply for 1 Citi credit card in an 8-day period (1/8 rule)
- Only apply for 2 Citi credit cards in a 65-day period (2/65 rule)
The Citi Premier® Card is an attractive travel reward credit card as it has an attractive rewards program that makes it easy to earn, redeem, or transfer points. Its signup bonus and annual hotel savings benefit are also excellent if you travel regularly and want an easy way to book award travel.
- Best Travel Credit Cards For Beginners
- Travel Card Showdown: Citi Premier vs Capital One Venture Rewards
- What Credit Score Do You Need for Citi Premier?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Trying for The Citi Premier 60,000 Points Signup Bonus
- 2 $100 Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
- 3 Multiple Ways to Earn Bonus Points
- 4 Can Convert Citi Double Cash Points to ThankYou Points
- 5 Flexible Redemption Options
- 6 1:1 Point Transfers
- 7 No Foreign Transaction Fee
- 8 Purchase Protection Benefits
- 9 Mastercard World Elite Benefits
- 10 Flexible Application Guidelines
- 11 Summary