I received an email from the TSA this week (they have a newsletter; you can sign up in the bottom-right here) reminding travelers that all oversized liquids—including Duty Free liquors and perfumes without the necessary receipt—will not make it through security. We all know that liquids (100ml+) can’t go through security, but when you’re connecting in the U.S. on the way back from somewhere and carrying a Duty Free purchase, for example, you’re not always in the clear. You can’t simply trust Duty Free. Here’s the situation straight from the email:
“When traveling from an international location and transferring to a domestic flight, any duty free liquid, gel or aerosol item from the origination country must be in a tamper evident bag with a receipt dated in the last 24 hours. But the duty free shops in some countries do not have those regulation bags and some cruise operators will only place the items in the tamper evident bags if you ask for them. So remember to pay attention! After going through Customs, if the item is not in a tamper evident bag, place it into your suitcase and check the bag in with the airline before heading to the checkpoint for your connecting flight.”
Remember that—and don’t lose your purchase!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,308!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.