On Saturday, a new TSA rule went into effect concerning powdered substances in your carry-on on flights into the U.S. Here’s what you need to know, via the Chicago Tribune:
“With the new ruling, passengers must store such granular items as flour, sugar, ground coffee, spices, powdered milk (such as baby formula), protein powders and cosmetics in a receptacle no larger than 12 ounces, about the size of a soda can. No plastic bag required. Objects placed in bigger vessels may be subjected to additional screening at the checkpoint. If security officials cannot identify the substance – in TSA parlance, ‘effectively detect and resolve powders through testing protocols’ – the passenger can place the material in his or her checked luggage or toss it, but may not board the plane with it.”
Importantly, powdered medicines, baby formula and cremated human remains will be exempt from the new rule. Additionally, TSA PreCheck passengers won’t have to remove powders from their bags. As noted in the Tribune story, the same rules are already in place for domestic flights.
Baby formula, spices, and protein powder are not safe from the TSA pic.twitter.com/5Y7QpOmWfR
— NowThis (@nowthisnews) June 28, 2018
Related: Ask the TSA Your Carry-On Questions
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,229!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.