Uber was dealt a huge blow last week when London’s transport regulator rejected its application to renew its license to operate in the city. According to a statement in TechCrunch, the reasoning was that Uber is “not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.” Uber is most likely going to appeal, but if it doesn’t get an extension you’ll want to download the Gett app. I’ve never used Gett but it’s available on both iOS and Android and it allows users to supposedly get a ride in a black cab in under three minutes. According to the site, Gett has nearly half of all black cabs in London on its platform.
The app has some of the same options that Uber does, with a carpool (Gett Together), Taxi, Taxi XL, and a delivery service. Come September 30, when Uber’s license is set to expire in London, I’m sure Gett is going to get a huge influx of business so wait times will no doubt increase. Let’s hope the city of London does renew Uber’s license because it has over 3.5 million users and around 40,000 drivers in London alone.
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.