I was almost in Southeast Asia this week to take a ride on Singapore Airlines’s new 787-10 (here’s my review of the plane). You can bet that if I was in Singapore, I’d be using a ride-sharing app like Uber instead of taxis to save money. However, it looks like Uber is no longer in operation there. As Bloomberg has reported, “Uber has officially pulled out of Southeast Asia and sold its operations there to major local rival Grab.”
Grab—the Southeast Asia ride-sharing app formerly known as GrabTaxi/MyTeksi—supposedly has the largest pool of drivers in Southeast Asia. It runs similar to the way Uber runs except that it offers not only taxis and private cars but motorcycle taxis, as well. Based on some of the reviews (which could be coming from disgruntled employees or the competition), I wouldn’t rely on Grab as a first choice or for last-minute booking quite yet—some wrote that Grab can be unreliable and make you wait—but still most of the reviews have been positive (4.1/5 on iOS and 4.4/5 out on Android).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.