I was almost in Southeast Asia this week to take a ride on Singapore Airlines’s new 787-10 (here’s my review of the plane). You can bet that if I was in Singapore, I’d be using a ride-sharing app like Uber instead of taxis to save money. However, it looks like Uber is no longer in operation there. As Bloomberg has reported, “Uber has officially pulled out of Southeast Asia and sold its operations there to major local rival Grab.”
Grab—the Southeast Asia ride-sharing app formerly known as GrabTaxi/MyTeksi—supposedly has the largest pool of drivers in Southeast Asia. It runs similar to the way Uber runs except that it offers not only taxis and private cars but motorcycle taxis, as well. Based on some of the reviews (which could be coming from disgruntled employees or the competition), I wouldn’t rely on Grab as a first choice or for last-minute booking quite yet—some wrote that Grab can be unreliable and make you wait—but still most of the reviews have been positive (4.1/5 on iOS and 4.4/5 out on Android).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.