This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Do you own the Uber Credit Card or thinking of getting one? There are (mostly positive) new Uber Visa credit card updates you need to know about. It’s now easier to maximize your Uber-related purchases. Plus, you can now earn up to 5% Uber Cash on purchases.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
New cardmembers can get a $100 Uber Cash signup bonus by spending $500 in the first 90 days of account opening. If you’re an Uber loyalist, this can be one the best travel rewards credit cards with no annual fee.
The information for the Uber Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
New Card Design
The Uber Visa credit card updates include a new design. The new design lacks the money colorful dots on the card front. But it still has a distinguishable black design that can help set this card apart from your current collection.
Earn 5% Uber Cash
All purchases either earn unlimited 5%, 3%, or 1% back:
- 5% back: Uber rides, Uber Eats, and JUMP (previously 2% back)
- 3% back: dining, hotels, and airfare (previously 4% back)
- 1% back: All other purchases
Your rewards are redeemable for Uber Cash. You can use Uber Cash to pay for Uber rides, Uber Eats orders, and JUMP bikes and scooters.
The improved Uber Visa rewards are best if you regularly ride Uber and want to redeem your rewards for Uber credits. Earning 5% back on rideshares is impressive as most rewards credit cards reward up to 3% back on travel and rideshare purchases. Even international purchases earn bonus cash.
While dining, hotels, and airfare purchases now only earn 3% (instead of 4%), this is still a healthy cashback rate. Although if you travel often, you may have more Uber Cash than may want to hold at one time. Plus, this is still one of the best credit cards for restaurants and dining.
Current Uber Visa cardholders will transition into the new rewards program within the first 6 months of 2020. You will receive a letter from Barclays stating your transition schedule. These Uber Visa updates are effective immediately for new applicants.
Redeeming Uber Cash
You can begin redeeming Uber Cash in $0.01 increments. Once your Uber Cash balance exceeds $50, Uber automatically redeems your excess balance to pay for Uber-related purchases.
Uber Cash can only be redeemed for the primary cardholder’s Uber account. If an authorized user also has an Uber account, the purchase rewards cannot transfer to their account.
Your Uber Cash rewards will not expire as long as your account remains in good standing.
$100 Uber Cash Bonus
As a first-time Uber Visa cardmember, you can earn a $100 signup bonus. Spend $500 in the first 90 days to get $100 bonus Uber Cash.
This is a “once in a lifetime” bonus so you can only earn it once. The $100 bonus offer with a $500 minimum spend is competitive with other no annual fee rewards credit cards.
Additional Card Benefits
There are a few other Uber Visa benefit changes that you need to know about too.
Starting November 1, 2019, all cardmembers will have access to roadside assistance — at a cost. This benefit is brand-new. But you will pay $69.95 per call. While this perk might still save you money, there are better ways to get free roadside assistance with a credit card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Another option is using the benefits of your car insurance or AAA membership. Their roadside assistance plans may cost less or have more extensive coverage options.
Our review of credit cards with roadside assistance can help you learn more about this benefit.
No More Online Streaming Credit
When the Uber Visa first launched, you could get a $50 streaming service credit after $5,000 in total card purchases. This credit is no longer available.
Cell Phone Protection
You will continue to get up to $600 in cell phone protection. Charge your entire monthly cell phone bill to your Uber Visa to qualify for this protection.
Uber Visa Fees
This card doesn’t have an annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
Because it’s fee-free, you can use it as your primary card to capture your daily spending. Or you might only use for Uber purchases for the unlimited 5% rewards. If you use Uber often, this can be one of the best cash back credit cards for your wallet.
Summary of the New Uber Visa Credit Card Updates
The Uber Visa updates are mostly positive if you are ride Uber regularly. Although you no longer get a $50 streaming services credit after $5,000 in annual card purchases, you do earn more rewards on Uber, Uber Eats, and JUMP purchases. For a no annual fee credit card, getting 3% back on dining, hotels, and airfare isn’t bad either.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.