When I read United Airlines’ press release this morning, I had to double check the date just to make sure it wasn’t April 1. The news? United Airlines just ordered 50 supersonic jets! This is no joke and travelers should be excited for a few reasons:
- If you missed out flying on the Concorde like I did, then basically here’s your second chance.
- These jets will cut travel time by half. For example, you can travel from New York (EWR) to London in just three and a half hours and San Francisco to Tokyo in just six hours.
- These aircraft are going to be net-zero carbon from day one.
That’s the good news. The bad news is they’re not going to be ready to carry passengers until 2029.
Here are the details, minus how many seats and the configuration:
United’s agreement is with Denver-based aerospace company Boom Supersonic which the company describes as “a move that facilitates a leap forward in returning supersonic speeds to aviation.”
“Under the terms of the agreement, United will purchase 15 of Boom’s ‘Overture’ airliners, once Overture meets United’s demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for an additional 35 aircraft. The companies will work together on meeting those requirements before delivery. Once operational, Overture is expected to be the first large commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, optimized to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). It is slated to roll out in 2025, fly in 2026 and expected to carry passengers by 2029. United and Boom will also work together to accelerate production of greater supplies of SAF.”
The jets that are capable of flying at speeds of Mach 1.7 (twice the speed of today’s fastest airliners) will be designed with features such as in-seat entertainment screens, ample personal space, and contactless technology.
To take a closer look, check out this brief video that United posted on Instagram this morning:
View this post on Instagram
I’m excited to see this happen and I’m sure I’m not alone. I have a feeling this story is going to make headlines around the world tonight, that’s how significant it is.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.