Updated (July 29, 2021): United Airlines today announced the five lucky grand prize winners of its “Your Shot to Fly” sweepstakes, who will each get to fly anywhere in the world United flies with a companion over the course of the next year. The winners of the “Your Shot to Fly” sweepstakes are:
- Ashley Cronkhite from Bradenton, FL
- Robert Simicak from Cleveland, OH
- Sean Husmoe from Goodyear, AZ
- Lauren Aldredge from Oakland CA
- Lauren M. from San Francisco, CA
It’s mind-boggling to think that the U.S. has to incentivize people to get a COVID-19 vaccine when people in other countries are literally dying to get one or standing in crazy long lines to get vaccinated. A Canadian friend of mine waited over two hours outdoors in the middle of the night to get an AstraZeneca shot in below freezing temperatures. The vaccines are obviously working. Look at the United States’ numbers in terms of cases, hospitalizations and deaths compared to countries that don’t have the goods.
In many parts of the USA, including where I live in L.A., you can literally pick and choose which vaccine you want to get (Pfizer, Moderna or J&J) and then use your vaccination card to get freebies, like a donut every day at Krispy Kreme or free lamination to protect your card. FYI: I didn’t laminate my CDC card since you might need to get a booster or in case the lamination process smears the ink. Instead I’m using a protective sleeve.
RELATED: My Experience Getting Vaccinated
Businesses, states and destinations have been offering an array of incentives for people to get vaccinated. From lottery chances in New York, Maryland, Ohio and Oregon, including an up to $5 million grand prize and Talladega Superspeedway letting people drive around track at COVID-19 vaccine event, to sports teams like the Lakers, offering a chance to win season tickets for two.
Now, the airlines are getting in on the act. United Airlines just announced today that they’re offering its loyalty program members (it’s free to enroll and takes a minute to input your info) the chance to win free flights for a year’s worth of travel, in support of the government’s national effort to encourage more people to get their COVID-19 vaccination.
Under the terms of the “Your Shot to Fly” sweepstakes, any new or existing MileagePlus member who uploads their vaccination records to the airline’s mobile app or website between today and June 22 can be entered to win a roundtrip flight for two, in any class of service, to anywhere in the world United flies. United will give away 30 pairs of tickets throughout the month of June. In addition – on July 1 United will announce five randomly selected lucky MileagePlus members who have entered the sweepstakes for a grand prize of travel for a year for themselves and a companion – also in any class of service, anywhere in the world United flies.
United’s CEO Scott Kirby said, “We’re proud to do our part to incentivize people to get their shot. Thanks to the vaccine, more and more destinations are opening up for travel – and we know our customers are eager to fly. We’re excited to give people one more reason to get vaccinated so they can reunite with friends and family or take that long-awaited vacation which all could be just one shot away.”
The sweepstakes is open to any resident of the United States who is at least 18 years old and a MileagePlus member. For more information and to enter, visit United.com/YourShotToFly.
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Sweepstakes runs from 12:00:01 am ET on 5/24/21 to 11:59:59 pm ET on 6/22/21. Sweepstakes open to legal residents of 50 US, DC, PR, USVI & Guam who are 18+ or age of majority, whichever older, at entry. To enter online, visit united.com & complete entry form with valid COVID-19 vax card. For mail entry (if you are vaccinated and concerned about privacy or aren’t vaccinated due to health or religious reasons), send your email address, name, full address, phone number & MileagePlus number to MileagePlus Vax Sweepstakes, PO Box 158, Freeburg, IL 62243-0158. Your info must match MileagePlus account info. Limit 1 entry per person & per MileagePlus member. 30 1st prize drawings. Odds depend on # of elig. entries received for each drawing. 5 Grand Prizes: 1-year free flights for 2 (traveling together and limited to 26 roundtrip flights) & $275,000. ARV: $784,600 each. 30 1st Prizes: roundtrip flight for 2 worldwide & $7,700. ARV: $27,300 each. Total ARV of all prizes: $4,742,000. For prize drawing deadlines & full rules, visit United.com/yourshottofly. Sponsor: United Airlines, Inc., 233 S. Wacker Dr., Chicago, IL 60606. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.