These days, a hotel is far from the only accommodation option in most destinations. If you know what you’re looking for, how much you want to pay, and how flexible you’re willing to be, you have more tools than ever to build the right travel experience for you.
Today’s featured website, University Rooms, is a great example (and one that’s new to me). In short, it lets you book available dorm rooms on college campuses to stay in. More than 400 university, college and student residences in over 100 cities around the world are available for booking. Each offers (supposedly) more privacy than hostels do, and you don’t have to be a student to book a stay in one.
University Rooms, which was started by an Oxford student, has been around since 2007. The founding idea, per the About page, is this: “Every summer (and other vacations) a mass of university-owned and independently-owned student residences are vacated when students move out. Universities use us to fill rooms during the academic year and in the summer vacation that would otherwise be empty. For travellers and groups, this presents an affordable and convenient accommodation option, an opportunity to experience life within a university and benefit from use of the facilities. For universities, this means extra revenue to subsidise student rates.”
University Rooms is already popular across Europe and it’s now starting to catch on with Americans. Currently, it lists rooms in two U.S. cities (Laredo, TX and Worcester, MA). Of course, rooms are not likely to be luxurious (at least the ones I’ve seen aren’t). There are a few types of room available (single, double, suite…), but they’re all fairly simple. If you’re a solo or budget traveler, or you’re interested in a cheap place to stay in Europe (and beyond) in the heart of a college town, University Rooms is going to be better fit. In any case, it’s another place to look the next time you need a cheap place to stay.
More sites to help you find a cheap place to stay
- How to Find the Perfect Place to Camp in the U.S.
- The App That Lets You Book Hotel Rooms by the Hour
- How to Snap Up Hotel Room Discounts Like Never Before
- How to Find a Hotel Pool Party or Cool Spot on a Hot Summer Day
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.