With the pandemic still raging, U.S. residents are still prohibited from free travel in many countries around the world (here’s a specific breakdown of where Americans can travel). As a result, says new data collected by Allianz, they’re turning their attention toward domestic travel in a big way.
Looking at recent travel bookings and the results of a survey of 4,300 people, Allianz found that 59% of American travelers are considering domestic destinations for their next trip. Based on “Single Trip” online travel insurance quotes served to potential travelers, Allianz found that domestic destinations made up just 22% of destinations in the first quarter of 2020, and then 42% of destinations in the second quarter—a jump of 93%.
Nearly two-thirds (59%) of the Americans surveyed reported targeting a domestic destination for their next trip. Of those, 54% are planning to fly while 42% are planning to drive. Just under half (47%), meanwhile, plan to book at a hotel property, while 27% indicated a preference to stay with family or friends and another 11% chose a short-term rental home.
The same survey also asked participants about their views on hygiene and safety in their future travel plans. Advanced sanitizing efforts (50%) and a proven vaccine for COVID-19 (49%) were selected as the safety measures that would most make them feel safe enough to travel again. An official announcement that it is safe to travel again from health officials was named as an important factor by 42%.
“While the travel landscape is constantly changing, we’re finding that our customers are eager to safely hit the road to enjoy time together with their families,” said Joe Mason, Chief Marketing Officer at Allianz Partners. “While travel to foreign destinations is currently in flux, it’s a great time to fly or drive to rediscover the amazing destinations that America has to offer.”
What about you?
Are you more interested in domestic travel than you were? What would make you feel safe traveling again?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.