I was happy to learn that Instagram finally has a bona fide rival in Vero (for iOS and Android), a photo-sharing app created in 2015 by Lebanese billionaire Ayman Hariri (the son of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri). According to Mashable last week, Vero suddenly became the most popular app in the U.S. App Store, which must have Instagram shaking in its boots. Don’t get me wrong: I really used to like Instagram because it’s so easy to use and so many of my friends are on there, but since Facebook bought it, it’s changed its algorithms and I’ve been less impressed. I’m happy to be able to jump ship.
What I love about Vero is that it’s free of ads, it doesn’t use Instagram’s algorithms and—ultimately—it’s similar to Instagram. And there’s more. In addition to letting you share photos, the app also lets users share text and URLs, as well as recommendations for TV shows, movies and books. You can create groups and share each post to the groups you choose: close friends, friends, acquaintances, or followers.
The app doesn’t make money yet since there aren’t no ads but according to CNBC, eventually it plans to charge a small annual subscription fee of a few dollars a year. However, the first million users were to be exempt and get a lifetime free subscription. But now, Vero has declared on its homepage that the app has already surpassed one million registered users. It also states, “As promised, our first million users have access to Vero free for life. However, given the service interruptions, we are extending that offer to all new users until further notice. We will confirm the start date and pricing of Vero subscriptions soon.”
So you better hurry up and sign up just in case Vero becomes the new Instagram. That way, you’ll at least have it for free. When I tried signing up the app crashed a few times but eventually I was able to do it. I’m Johnny Jet so look me up!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.