Short bio: Darley Newman is a travel expert, TV host, entrepreneur, and multimedia producer. She has channeled her passions for travel and storytelling into successful TV series and brands, including Emmy Award-winning “Equitrekking” and “Travels with Darley” on PBS, Amazon Prime, Verizon Digital, and networks in over 85 nations.
Occupation: TV Host & Entrepreneur
How are you doing with quarantine? I’m staying busy, but itching to travel. Mostly editing existing travel video content from a decade of being on the road, connecting with others on social media, jogging in Central Park and cooking.
Hometown: Myrtle Beach, S.C.
College: The George Washington University
College major: Electronic Media & International Business
Earliest travel memory: Going to San Francisco on a family trip to spread my grandfather’s ashes in places that were significant to him following his death. I was only 5 years old and it sounds morbid, but was super meaningful to my mom and our family, so ingrained in my mind.
How often do you fly? Two weeks a month
How many countries have you been to? 37
How many continents have you been to? 5
Favorite American city: Los Angeles and NYC
Favorite international city: Florence, Italy
Friendliest people in the world: Ireland
I have no desire to go to: Outer Space
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Canada
Favorite airline: Don’t have one but loved Qatar’s business class and Japan Airlines for the food
Favorite aircraft type: 747
Aisle or window: Aisle on short flights and window on long ones
Sat next to any famous celebs: Nope
Favorite airport lounge: Qatar’s Airways Business Class Lounge in Doha
Favorite U.S. airport: National Airport in D.C.
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Favorite hotel: Castle Leslie in Ireland
Favorite travel credit card: Chase Sapphire
Favorite island: Hawaii (Maui and the Big Island)
Favorite beach: Myrtle Beach. I grew up there.
Favorite fancy restaurant: L’air du Temps in Namur, Belgium
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: It’s not a hole in the wall, but love inexpensive dim sum at Tim Ho Wan in Hong Kong
Favorite fruit: Kiwi
Favorite food: Steak
Craziest thing you’ve eaten: Homemade ayran in a village in Turkey. Not crazy in itself, but we were riding horses village to village on the old Silk Road and stopped at a locals house. I was super hot and tired and it wasn’t what I would have originally thought of as refreshing. New to me, but popular in Turkey!
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Sauvignon Blanc, though I’ll take the Champagne when offered, too
Favorite travel movie(s): Under the Tuscan Sun
Favorite travel show(s): House Hunters International
Favorite travel app: HotelTonight, Airbnb, Uber
What do you always seem to forget? Toothbrush
Worst travel moment: Being charged by an elephant in Africa while on a horseback safari
Most embarrassing travel moment: Camping in the Wadi Rum Desert in Jordan and having stomach issues…
What’s your dream destination? Australia
Best travel tip: Roll with it. It’s my tip for travel and life!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.